The SSI Classified Diver program is intended to provide students with limited mobility with the training necessary to dive with a Classified Dive Buddy, more than one Classified Buddy, and/or a Classified Dive Professional depending on their abilities and environments to depths equivalent with their training.
Upon successful completion of the Classified Diving program, students will be certified as a Classified Diver Level 1, 2 or 3, depending on their ability to independently perform skills, and to assist a buddy in need.
ASSISTANCE FOR SKILLS
Classified Diver Level 1 students may complete the following skills with assistance from a Classified Dive Buddy or a Classified Diver Professional.
- Buoyancy Check with a Total Diving System (Oral Inflation, Bobbing Method)
- Removing and Replacing the Scuba Unit (Surface)
- Removing and Replacing the Weight System (Surface)
- NOTE: Students must be able to independently demonstrate proper operation of a quick-release weight system.
Level 2 students may also complete the following skills with assistance from a Classified Dive Buddy or Classified Diver Professional:
- Disconnect/Reconnect a Low-Pressure Inflator Hose
- Air Sharing Exercises
- Emergency Swimming Ascent (ESA)
- Emergency Buoyant Ascent
- Surface Marker Buoy (SMB) Deployment
Level 3 students may also complete the following skills with assistance from a Classified Dive Buddy or Classified Diver Professional:
- Regulator Retrieval (Arm Sweep and Alternate)
- Mask Clearing
- Mask Removal and Replacement
- Controlled Descent